Christchurch College’s Picture Gallery - Oxford, England
Christchurch College’s Picture Gallery
In 1765 former student of Christchurch College, John Guise, donated his vast collection of Renaissance paintings and drawings to his alta mater.
The collection provided an innovative opportunity for students and fellows not wealthy enough to do the ‘Italian tour’, nor well enough ‘connected’ to gain entrance to stately homes, to admire a collection of work by Renaissance masters.
With new donations, the collection has expanded over the centuries.
In 1968, in keeping with the tradition of making original works by great masters more accessible, a purpose-built gallery was opened to the public.
The Christchurch Picture Gallery collection is one of the most important private collections in the world. It has a substantial and impressive permanent display (which includes work by masters such as Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Raphael, Dürer, Raphael, Tintoretto, Veronese and Carracci), and a programme of about four exhibitions a year allowing more of the collection of more than 2000 drawings to be exhibited.
Closed Tuesdays and Saturdays